| 1910's ||- The Chamber supported improvement of county roads ... which enabled those in rural areas to market their products more efficiently and city merchants to have a wider market for their wares.|
| 1920's |
- The Chamber began planning for two highways that would intersect in Sedalia - the Great Lakes to the Gulf Highway (now Highway 65) and the Capital Highway (now Highway 50).
- The Chamber raised money to make sure the bridge was built over the Missouri River, which encouraged attendance at the Missouri State Fair.
- The Chamber cooperated with the Missouri Farm Bureau to study roads into Sedalia and to work with the State Highway Department to have these roads paved.
- The Chamber cooperated with the AAA in petitioning that the Highway Patrol be increased to 600 officers.
- The Chamber visited the State Highway Department and urged that 16th Street be oiled.
|1990's||- The Chamber supported the State of Missouri Department of Transportation’s 15 year plan to provide four lane highway from Kansas City to St Louis on Highway 50 and from the Iowa border to the Arkansas border on Highway 65.|
| 1910's |
- The Chamber encouraged the local dairy industry ... by establishing a cooperative plan for the breeding of prime Holstein cattle. Purebred cows were bought and leased to dairymen who cared for them and marketed their milk; purebred bulls where purchased every two years. After the five year lease expired, calves where sold and the profits divided between the chamber and the dairymen.
- The Chamber maintained an information bureau ... to provide local farmers with information about up-to-date farming techniques. Later the chamber supported the local agriculture by its work with the Farm Bureau, 4-H, the Missouri State Fair and with a yearly dairy day observance.
| 1980's |
- The Chamber sponsored Farm Family Week, including an ag appreciation banquet and farm tours.
- The Chamber supported activities of the 4-H Junior Livestock Show & Sale.
- The Chamber sponsored a scholarship for high school students pursuing an ag career.
- The Chamber sponsored an annual two-day Ag Expo to promote ag products and services to a regional market area, including an ag banquet and ag seminars.
| 1910's ||- The Chamber supported a bond issue to create Liberty Park and build Convention Hall.|
| 1920's |
- The Chamber advocated a city manger form of government.
- The Chamber paid rent on a plot of land at 16th & Engineer for a Civilian Conservation Corps camp.
|1940's||- The Chamber sponsored tours of local industry for high school seniors from neighboring towns.|
|1950's||- The Chamber petitioned the city to activate a housing authority to regulate and eliminate substandard housing, limit rents and develop public housing.|
- The Chamber encouraged passage of a sales tax to build a new fire station.
- The Chamber encouraged passage of a middle school bond issue.
- The Chamber encouraged public housing units.
| 1980's |
- The Chamber denounced crime.
- The Chamber disputed census figures.
| 1990's || - The Chamber initiated programs to support education|
* the Business - Education Partnership
* the Adult Literacy Council
* the Drop Out Task Force
- The Chamber organized a community foundation to support scholarships and community development projects.
| 1930's |
- The Chamber worked to secure industry.
- Contracted with Crocker Wallace to establish a stockyard near the MoPac tracks and North Park.
- Interstate Studios
- Pepsi-Cola Bottling
- Urged MKT to reopen shops after the Depression
- Unsuccessful bid to persuade the Army to locate a 1,000 bed general hospital.
| 1940's |
- Established an Industrial Development Fund.
- Began the Post-War Civic Development Fund for the expansion and development of new industries.
- Protested the discontinuance of the MKT passenger service.
- The Chamber sponsored Industrial Appreciation Week.
- The Chamber backed a plan to hire a full time industrial development director.
|1980's||- The Chamber initiated the Greater Sedalia Development Corporation to support the construction of the Sedalia Industrial Park.|
- The Chamber sponsored the Industry of the Quarter program.
| 1910's ||- The Chamber worked to locate conventions.|
|1940's|| - Golden Gloves tournament|
* marble tournament
- The Chamber encouraged tourism by outlining two tours around the Lake of the Ozarks.
- The Chamber produced a brochure outlining places of interest.
- The Chamber cooperated with the Highway 50 Federation, which printed a million brochures about the towns along Highway 50 to encourage tourists to “stop, look and spend money.”
- The Chamber, sponsored the forerunner of what is now the Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival.
|1960's||- The Chamber became pat of the Kaysinger Bluff Area Association.|
|1980's||- The Chamber hosted the First Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival.|
- The Chamber supported the proposed Exhibition Center.
- The Chamber actively worked to encourage creation of the Scott Joplin stamp and to arrange for the first day cancellation ceremonies.
- The Chamber renovated a caboose as an Information Center.
- The Chamber established the Convention & Visitors Bureau to actively solicit conventions/livestock shows, camper rallies and festivals.
- The Chamber produced a hospitality training video and sponsored a hospitality training seminar.
- The Chamber supported parimutuel horse racing at the Missouri State Fair.
|1990's||- The Chamber coordinated passage of a local lodgings tax.|
- The Chamber developed a Long Range Tourism Development Plan.
- The Chamber sponsored a Historic Preservation Conference.
- The Chamber participated in the Missouri State Fair Charette and Master Plan process.
- The Chamber initiated the concept of and worked to develop a Heritage Trail connecting various heritage sites for the purpose of bicycle tours, walking tours, driving tours and group tours.
| 1940's || - The Chamber sponsored parades|
| 1950's || - Rawhide Parade to launch the new series - Rawhide|
* Missouri State Fair
- Fourth of July Celebration
| 1960's ||- The Chamber sponsored the Centennial Celebration which included a flower show; ragtime concert; election of Miss & Mrs. Sedalia centennial; placement of historic markers on West Highway 50, at Jack Oakie’s home and at the Maple Leaf Club; publication of two historical accounts (Sedalia, Missouri 100 Years in Pictures and The First One Hundred Years) and a wheels of progress parade.|
| 1990's |
- The Chamber pursued renovation of the Sedalia Katy Depot.
- The Chamber receives designation as the future managing tenant of the Katy Depot.
- The Chamber completes the Railroad Heritage Museum Conceptual Design Plan.
- The Chamber sponsors a Small Museum Design Plan Charette.
- The Chamber completes the Sedalia Heritage Museum Master Plan.
- The Chamber published a pictorial history of Pettis County.
- The Chamber relocated their offices into the Depot historic site.
- The Chamber opened the heritage museum.
| 1940's |
- The Chamber directed activities toward the war effort
| 1970's ||- The Chamber supported the Army’s short lived Safeguard Anti-missile installation.|
- The Chamber supported location of the Stealth Bomber and worked to guarantee Sedalia would benefit.
- The Chamber encouraged interaction between Sedalians and Whiteman residents through various socials.
| 1940's |
- The Chamber sponsored a Newcomer’s Club for women, many of them officers’ wives.
- The Chamber responds to a shorting of housing
| 1990's |
- The Chamber sponsors the Hometown Welcome greeting service.
|1940's||- The Chamber sponsored shop at home campaigns.|
- The Chamber held an ongoing courtesy contest that rewarded outstanding employees of local stores.
- The Chamber manned an information booth for fairgoers.
- The Chamber sponsored Dollar Days and other special trade days.
- The Chamber functioned as the Better Business Bureau protecting local business firms by investigating and licensing solicitors.
|1950's||- The Chamber sponsored seminars for local merchants on eliminating shoplifting and bad checks, motivation, marketing, industrial development, tourism.|
|1990's||- The Chamber sponsored Small Business Week activities.|
| 1960's ||- The Chamber focused attention on deficiencies to secure new industry such as inadequate sewer, water, fire protection, airport, skilled labor pool, and a climate hostile to industry.|
- The Chamber assisted in a re evaluation and was identified as "the vehicle for the exchange and interchange of ideas relating to civic development by Sedalians who believe in energizing the movement for progress."
- The Chamber raised $12,500 for an economic study resulting in a long range plan for city growth and development which included recommendations to:
* construction of a new city hall
* relocation of Highway 50 to the north of the City
* expansion of Greissen Road
* widening of East 16th
* elimination of the job in Clarendon Road at Thompson
| 1980's ||- The Chamber spearheaded the development of the Sedalia 2000 Community Strategic Plan.|
- The Chamber obtained and maintained the Missouri Certified City status.